Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25
  1. #11
    Supporting Member Cody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    The Woodlands, TX
    Posts
    2,130
    Post Thanks / Like
    Post Thanks / Like
    Normal lights


    Filter

  2. #12
    Treasurer Gregg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Downtown Houston
    Posts
    2,204
    Post Thanks / Like
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    The filters suck because folks didn't experiment with the right filters

    Only night lights


    With a filter
    if you "experiment and find the right filter" then how can filters suck? If you use an App to take the pictures and it color corrects the image... thats no different than using photoshop. Personally when buying a coral, i would rather see a photo were only the blue was reduced, rather than a photo that has been digitally altered.
    Gregg Hamilton
    M.A.R.S.H. - Treasurer / Webmaster
    Marine Aquarium and Reef Society of Houston

  3. #13
    Supporting Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    1,475
    Post Thanks / Like
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    if you "experiment and find the right filter" then how can filters suck? If you use an App to take the pictures and it color corrects the image... thats no different than using photoshop. Personally when buying a coral, i would rather see a photo were only the blue was reduced, rather than a photo that has been digitally altered.
    I think Cody's statement was directed at me. He's showing good examples of when people use filters. I believe he's agreeing with you Gregg.

    Here's my example of filters when used to accentuate what's not really there.

    Bali shortcake with gel filter and no gel filter. No photoshop.

  4. #14
    Treasurer Gregg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Downtown Houston
    Posts
    2,204
    Post Thanks / Like
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cody is dead to me till he brings me my cookies!
    Gregg Hamilton
    M.A.R.S.H. - Treasurer / Webmaster
    Marine Aquarium and Reef Society of Houston

  5. Likes ATXacrofarmer liked this post
  6. #15
    Supporting Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    1,475
    Post Thanks / Like
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    Cody is dead to me till he brings me my cookies!
    I heard he has to delivery cookies to Austin first. Question about gel filter or app for filtering out the blue in tank

  7. #16
    Supporting Member Cody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    The Woodlands, TX
    Posts
    2,130
    Post Thanks / Like
    Post Thanks / Like
    The cookies are free, but there's a $20 delivery charge.

  8. #17
    Supporting Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    1,475
    Post Thanks / Like
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    The cookies are free, but there's a $20 delivery charge.
    Done, should I expect them tonight? It'll be perfect timing for game night.

  9. #18
    Supporting Member Clownfish Chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Spring 77373
    Posts
    2,341
    Post Thanks / Like
    Post Thanks / Like
    With digitally enhanced photos, it is up to the person to represent corals the way they want to be represented. If a company in ethical and honest, they will enhance their corals to demonstrate what they look like to the naked eye.

    Gel filters can manipulate images almost as much as digital enhancement with color saturation being the exception. It depends on which filter you use to achieve different results.

    I believe that if a company treats their consumers right, they will succeed. If they lie or provide poor customer service they will fail.

  10. Likes ATXacrofarmer, Gregg liked this post
  11. #19
    Supporting Member Cody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    The Woodlands, TX
    Posts
    2,130
    Post Thanks / Like
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    if you "experiment and find the right filter" then how can filters suck? If you use an App to take the pictures and it color corrects the image... thats no different than using photoshop. Personally when buying a coral, i would rather see a photo were only the blue was reduced, rather than a photo that has been digitally altered.
    I was responding to Ty saying he doesn't like filters because they make everything look fake.

    Also, I don't see the point of using the filters that make your corals "pop". That's not their natural color and using glasses or filters to make them something they're not seems pointless to me. At that point, just hand up some posters from Spencers on your wall and put up some black lights. Much cheaper and more vibrant.

    The filters that I found do nothing more than remove some blue and let the true colors shine through. I don't see why anyone would want a false image of their own corals.

  12. #20
    Supporting Member Cody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    The Woodlands, TX
    Posts
    2,130
    Post Thanks / Like
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clownfish Chris View Post
    With digitally enhanced photos, it is up to the person to represent corals the way they want to be represented. If a company in ethical and honest, they will enhance their corals to demonstrate what they look like to the naked eye.

    Gel filters can manipulate images almost as much as digital enhancement with color saturation being the exception. It depends on which filter you use to achieve different results.

    I believe that if a company treats their consumers right, they will succeed. If they lie or provide poor customer service they will fail.
    I think most of the folks that lie about the corals are fly by night or individual sellers that use something like eBay as a platform. Kind of hard to track them down.

  13. Likes Clownfish Chris liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. filter question
    By emily in forum New to the Hobby
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-25-2009, 11:26 AM
  2. New 90g tank - question about overflow to wet/dry filter
    By BonzerB in forum New to the Hobby
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-30-2009, 03:48 PM
  3. Please help with filtering
    By dfowlks in forum Marine and Reef General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-21-2007, 09:54 PM
  4. Blue and White filter pads!
    By MarkieB in forum Marine and Reef General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-19-2005, 10:53 AM
  5. Filter Question
    By fireman912 in forum Marine and Reef General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-17-2005, 08:53 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •