Hi all! I'm setting up a 150 gallon, 72" long tank. It is set up bean animal style, with a DIY 55gal sump. The equipment I have so far: protein skimmer (aquamaxx q3), 6ft Hamilton technology lift fixture with 3, 250 watt halides and 2 t5Hos, 2 phosban reactors (2 Little Foshies) that I'm planning on running GFO and Carbon in, and space for a refugium in the sump. My questions:
1. Any other vital equipment? We are thinking of getting a controller (either reef keeper or apex classic)
2. How do I figure out when and for how long to keep the lighting turned on, for the main display tank. Ive also read I need to turn on the refugium light opposite of the main lighting. I want to have a mixed reef tank of both soft and LPS corals.
3. I have a few wavemakers, but how do I know if I have too much or too little flow in the tank? Do I include the flow coming from the return pump? What's a good number to shoot for?
4. Best way to test alk and calcium?
5. Going through cycling the tank now. Thoughts on Dr Tims Nitrofying bacteria? I have about 150 lbs of dry rock. Also, during the cycle process, how much do my lights need to be on? Also, can I add a pair of clownfish while cycling if I use the bacteria additive, or just do one and pair another with it later?
6. Thoughts on algae scrubber? Good DIY designs?
7. Any other advice?
any advice would be greatly appreciated! This is an overwhelming process!!