Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33
  1. #11
    Supporting Member Reefahholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    77573
    Posts
    6,897
    Post Thanks / Like
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by steveb View Post
    oh I have been able to stop STN using super glue, either on a frag clipped from the parent or in some cases just gluing the heck out of the original coral.. Ugly as sin but coral eventually lays down tissue over the super glue.

    RTN I have never been able to stop.

    This would lead me to believe two things.

    1. A spreading bacterial infection.
    2. A Pest that made it through the dips.

  2. #12
    BOD MEMBER steveb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Spring 77373
    Posts
    7,562
    Post Thanks / Like
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Reefahholic View Post
    This would lead me to believe two things.

    1. A spreading bacterial infection.
    2. A Pest that made it through the dips.

    Neither.

    Definitely not a pest or it would have wiped out the rest of my frags and I doubt bacteria for same reason.

    I have most often seen it if my alk dosing pump gets clogged (always happens when I am busy or out of town...and alk doesn't get checked for a week. I normally check my alk everyday and try for same time everyday.)

    So my alk drops from 7-7.5 -> 6ish and then I raise it back up, even going .2dkH/day. For whatever reason there is always a frag or mini colony that gets unhappy about it.. Has never been the same one. Starts receding a little from base up along a branch. I clip and/or super glue it and all is well probably 80% of the time. Mille's tend to be a little more difficult for me to stop it on I probably have a 50% success rate with those.
    Steve
    M.A.R.S.H. - Board Member / Site Admin
    Marine Aquarium and Reef Society of Houston

  3. #13
    Supporting Member Reefahholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    77573
    Posts
    6,897
    Post Thanks / Like
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by steveb View Post
    Neither.

    Definitely not a pest or it would have wiped out the rest of my frags and I doubt bacteria for same reason.

    I have most often seen it if my alk dosing pump gets clogged (always happens when I am busy or out of town...and alk doesn't get checked for a week. I normally check my alk everyday and try for same time everyday.)

    So my alk drops from 7-7.5 -> 6ish and then I raise it back up, even going .2dkH/day. For whatever reason there is always a frag or mini colony that gets unhappy about it.. Has never been the same one. Starts receding a little from base up along a branch. I clip and/or super glue it and all is well probably 80% of the time. Mille's tend to be a little more difficult for me to stop it on I probably have a 50% success rate with those.
    So basically an ALK swing.

    Try using RO tubing with your dosing pump. It won’t clog. I’m switching my next dosing pump over to RO.

  4. Thanks steveb thanked for this post
  5. #14
    Vice President
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    montgomery tx, lake conroe area
    Posts
    2,609
    Post Thanks / Like
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is definitely water no other reason would loose 4 like colonies in 4 different tanks using the same sump
    David
    M.A.R.S.H. - Vice President
    Marine Aquarium and Reef Society of Houston

  6. Thanks Reefahholic thanked for this post
    Likes Reefahholic liked this post
  7. #15
    BOD MEMBER steveb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Spring 77373
    Posts
    7,562
    Post Thanks / Like
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Reefahholic View Post
    So basically an ALK swing.

    Try using RO tubing with your dosing pump. It won’t clog. I’m switching my next dosing pump over to RO.

    swing I think rapid fall or rapid rise.. this occurs over several days. I just think SPS are finicky.

    But I have learned no matter what the state, make no sudden changes.. adjust gradually and most are fine.

    But I always go back to.. some of these dang things are subject to air to some extent at low tide.



    Good idea on the RO tubing. Need to figure out how to get from soft tubing to RO. Goodness know I have like a bazillion feet of it..
    Steve
    M.A.R.S.H. - Board Member / Site Admin
    Marine Aquarium and Reef Society of Houston

  8. Likes Reefahholic liked this post
  9. #16
    Supporting Member Reefahholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    77573
    Posts
    6,897
    Post Thanks / Like
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by reeftopia View Post
    Mine is definitely water no other reason would loose 4 like colonies in 4 different tanks using the same sump

    That definetly confirms water. Thx reeftopia!

  10. #17
    Secretary Cody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    The Woodlands, TX
    Posts
    2,940
    Post Thanks / Like
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by steveb View Post
    or looking at them wrong and they think you have given them the stink eye
    I tuck all of my corals into bed and kiss them on the forehead before I go to bed. That's my secret.
    Dr. Cody Noel VIII Ph.D, M.D.
    M.A.R.S.H. - Secretary
    Marine Aquarium and Reef Society of Houston

  11. Likes Reefahholic liked this post
  12. #18
    Secretary Cody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    The Woodlands, TX
    Posts
    2,940
    Post Thanks / Like
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by steveb View Post
    Neither.

    Definitely not a pest or it would have wiped out the rest of my frags and I doubt bacteria for same reason.

    I have most often seen it if my alk dosing pump gets clogged (always happens when I am busy or out of town...and alk doesn't get checked for a week. I normally check my alk everyday and try for same time everyday.)

    So my alk drops from 7-7.5 -> 6ish and then I raise it back up, even going .2dkH/day. For whatever reason there is always a frag or mini colony that gets unhappy about it.. Has never been the same one. Starts receding a little from base up along a branch. I clip and/or super glue it and all is well probably 80% of the time. Mille's tend to be a little more difficult for me to stop it on I probably have a 50% success rate with those.
    For years, I never understood what constituted an alk swing. How much over how long? Once I had everything else stabilized, I think I came to consensus on .5dkh per day. I can raise alk that quickly and see no side effects. So to those that wonder what is considered to be a "swing", that's what my corals have defined it as.

    I also have been able to stop skin loss with super glue multiple times, but only once the problem causing the skin loss was corrected.
    Last edited by Cody; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:24 PM.
    Dr. Cody Noel VIII Ph.D, M.D.
    M.A.R.S.H. - Secretary
    Marine Aquarium and Reef Society of Houston

  13. Thanks Reefahholic thanked for this post
    Likes Reefahholic liked this post
  14. #19
    Supporting Member Reefahholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    77573
    Posts
    6,897
    Post Thanks / Like
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    For years, I never understood what constituted an alk swing. How much over how long? Once I had everything else stabilized, I think I came to consensus on .5dkh per day. I can raise alk that quickly and see no side effects. So to those that wonder what is considered to be a "swing", that's what my corals have defined it as.

    I also have been able to stop skin loss with super glue multiple times, but only once the problem causing the skin loss was corrected.

    Thanks for the clarification on what defines an ALK swing. I’m sure that answered a few people’s questions.

    What do you reckon caused the tissue necrosis?

  15. #20
    Supporting Member Reefahholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    77573
    Posts
    6,897
    Post Thanks / Like
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let’s tank a look back at the WWC recipe:



Similar Threads

  1. New Events
    By mwilliams62 in forum Marine and Reef General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-08-2015, 11:16 AM
  2. Events for 2013
    By SuperRay in forum Marine and Reef General Discussion
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 02-28-2013, 01:37 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •