PDA

View Full Version : Did my clam commit suicide

Miller
05-19-2015, 02:00 PM
When purchased, he was attached to a piece of rubble. When I went to bed he was resting on a rock. When I woke up this morning he was in the sand bed detached from the rubble. He had burrowed into the sand and was open. I moved him back to a rock and he has not reopened. This is what was left on the rubble.

Traclly Le Tran
05-19-2015, 02:19 PM
Hard to see with all the blue but I hate to say he looks dead. When you pulled him off the sand did it come off easily?

*from my little reef via Sgs5*

Miller
05-19-2015, 02:39 PM
Thats not the clam that is the material left on the plug, it was already detached when I found him in the sand. He and partially buried himsefl in the sand so I thought maybe he was OK.

Miller
05-19-2015, 02:47 PM
That in not the clam, that is the rubble with some clam material attached. I don't understand why it would detach itself from the rubble overnight if it meant possibly disemboweling itself. It is strange that he was open when I found him and partially buried in the upright position. I figure he would be OK but now that he is only partially open I fear the worse.

Traclly Le Tran
05-19-2015, 10:18 PM
If they are unhappy they'll detach. You could try moving him to a lower flow area and let him start at the bottom until he acclimates to your lights then eventually move him up. Give him time I'm sure he'll open up.

Miller
05-19-2015, 10:45 PM
Thanks, I was not aware they could detach and leave all that material behind. He opened up when the lights went out tonight. The lights should not be an issue since it was under ATI/T5 combo at Ocean LIfe. He is under ATI 6 by 80 with me. I put him on a flat rock in bottom third of tank. Hopefully tomorrow he is feeling better.

If they are unhappy they'll detach. You could try moving him to a lower flow area and let him start at the bottom until he acclimates to your lights then eventually move him up. Give him time I'm sure he'll open up.

Traclly Le Tran
05-20-2015, 07:49 AM
Yes, sometimes they just need to acclimate to your tank. Good luck

pokerdobe
05-20-2015, 09:10 AM
Your clam detached - what's leftover is its byssal threads. As long as the actual byssal muscle is intact, it'll recover - assuming it finds a place with the flow and lighting conditions it prefers. Occasionally, the clam will just shed its byssal threads for no apparent reason. If it has the energy to stay closed, then it isn't dead. I'd be more worried if it wasn't closing.

Miller
05-20-2015, 09:13 AM
It has remained on the rock I put it on yesterday and is open this morning with the mantel displayed and reacting to passing fish, so I think all is well (for now)!

Your clam detached - what's leftover is its byssal threads. As long as the actual byssal muscle is intact, it'll recover - assuming it finds a place with the flow and lighting conditions it prefers. Occasionally, the clam will just shed its byssal threads for no apparent reason. If it has the energy to stay closed, then it isn't dead. I'd be more worried if it wasn't closing.