PDA

View Full Version : Zoa Eating Amphipod

GenSkiR6
05-12-2014, 11:54 PM
Does anyone know exactly what they look like? I'm about to start on a killing spree.

GenSkiR6
05-13-2014, 02:10 PM
Anybody? Reason I'm asking is because I found them munching on some Xenia that was dying and I have a zoa missing some lashes and watching another (my favorite zoas) melt away.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/14/eredymun.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/14/jare2e2y.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/14/maby4a4u.jpg

GenSkiR6
05-13-2014, 02:36 PM
And this is what's left after last night.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/14/ga9ypumu.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/14/qu6upyta.jpg

cacarnold3
05-13-2014, 02:52 PM
It is my understanding that amphipods that eat zoas are just regular amphipods. I am not 100% convinced that they actually eat them though. I would try and dip the zoas and xenia and inspect the zoas closely for zoa eating nudibranches. They are very hard to see with the naked eye because they take on the colors of the polyps (kinda like a chameleon).

GenSkiR6
05-13-2014, 02:54 PM
It is my understanding that amphipods that eat zoas are just regular amphipods. I am not 100% convinced that they actually eat them though. I would try and dip the zoas and xenia and inspect the zoas closely for zoa eating nudibranches. They are very hard to see with the naked eye because they take on the colors of the polyps (kinda like a chameleon).

Ok, on it now.

GenSkiR6
05-13-2014, 03:23 PM

Well, nothing came from the dip. Not one thing at all. I usually get a cpl critters. But I did see these white sticks growing through the matt. They are easily pulled out with tweezers. Maybe that's irritating them?

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/14/epuzehur.jpg

Kilo2008
05-13-2014, 05:08 PM
Same thing i was postng about the other day. Had a bunch them munching on my red people eater zoas and down to one now

GenSkiR6
05-13-2014, 05:20 PM
Same thing i was postng about the other day. Had a bunch them munching on my red people eater zoas and down to one now

Did you see them doing it? I haven't seen them on my zoas. Only on the dying Xenia. I just figured that might be the culprit. Maybe they got a taste for flesh.

Kilo2008
05-13-2014, 06:41 PM
Ya mine have 7 or 8 on my red people.eaters. i would blast them off with a baster and within minutes thry were all.over them again. The blue tubs i just bought are gone now too

cacarnold3
05-13-2014, 09:31 PM
Gen, I wouldn't immediately jump to the amphipod conclusion if you haven't seen them on this frag. I'd inspect the tank about an hour after lights out (with a flashlight) and see if you notice anything. Since nothing came off with the dip, it's hard to say. If it were zoanthid eating nudis, there would have at least been brown bits in the bottom of the dip container. The nudis often fall apart when dipped.

Kilo, If the dip didn't deter the buggers, I'd start siphoning them out with that turkey baster. Since you have actually seen them eating the polyps and now have missing Tubbs, I'd remove them manually (maybe just to the sump if you want to keep them).

GenSkiR6
05-13-2014, 09:42 PM
Gen, I wouldn't immediately jump to the amphipod conclusion if you haven't seen them on this frag. I'd inspect the tank about an hour after lights out (with a flashlight) and see if you notice anything. Since nothing came off with the dip, it's hard to say. If it were zoanthid eating nudis, there would have at least been brown bits in the bottom of the dip container. The nudis often fall apart when dipped.

Kilo, If the dip didn't deter the buggers, I'd start siphoning them out with that turkey baster. Since you have actually seen them eating the polyps and now have missing Tubbs, I'd remove them manually (maybe just to the sump if you want to keep them).

I don't think my last polyp survived the dip. :(
He looks like toast. Was my fave. That's sad. I inspected throughout the entire night with my light last night. That's where the pics of the amphi on the Xenia came from. Never saw them on the zoas though. But woke up to the zoa missing lashes. There was nothing in the dip when I was fished. No brown bits, no spaghetti worms. I usually find a cpl of those every time I dip. I don't know what to do now except creep on the tank some more. Maybe get a red light and watch.

Candice do you have any clue what the white sticks are growing out of the matt? I've never seen it before.

Diesel
05-13-2014, 09:55 PM

GenSkiR6
05-13-2014, 09:59 PM
I'll go check it out. I haven't put anything new in there since the corals I got from you Ben. It's so strange.

Diesel
05-13-2014, 10:05 PM

GenSkiR6
05-13-2014, 10:10 PM
You had some corals from reef current right?
Do you always dip your corals?

I did! I thought I was at your place after reef current. My days are running together but yes, I always dip.

GenSkiR6
05-13-2014, 11:34 PM
Light were off for about an hour and a half when I went to creep on the night owls. Found a pod sitting on top of my blue hornets but he didn't seem to be eating them. Seemed he was just chillin. Will check again tomorrow.

dave00gt
05-13-2014, 11:59 PM
What about fish , what fish do U have ? Anything that might not be reef safe.

GenSkiR6
05-14-2014, 12:26 AM
What about fish , what fish do U have ? Anything that might not be reef safe.

Nope. It's a cramped little 12 gal. I've only got a clown who never leaves his mushroom and a firefish.

dave00gt
05-14-2014, 12:35 AM
What about inverts?

GenSkiR6
05-14-2014, 07:04 AM
What about inverts?

Fire shrimp. Nothin else.

cacarnold3
05-14-2014, 09:43 AM
Gen, I have a red light you could borrow if you need to. I don't know what the things in the mat were but they might have been some type of snail or worm or possibly something from sand. A lot of mine have bits of stuff in the mats. I'd be happy to come by sometime and see if there is anything that I notice.

cacarnold3
05-14-2014, 09:56 AM
Gen, I have a red light you could borrow if you need to. I don't know what the things in the mat were but they might have been some type of snail or worm or possibly something from sand. A lot of mine have bits of stuff in the mats. I'd be happy to come by sometime and see if there is anything that I notice.

dave00gt
05-14-2014, 11:34 AM
Any corals that could of stung both corals , sometimes in the night , some corals might throw out there stinger tentacles

GenSkiR6
05-14-2014, 03:00 PM
Candace, sent you a PM.

GenSkiR6
05-14-2014, 04:14 PM
Any corals that could of stung both corals , sometimes in the night , some corals might throw out there stinger tentacles

Unfortunately none of my corals are the issue. Everything has ample space between its neighbor. I wish that was the case. That would be a much easier fix.

GenSkiR6
05-15-2014, 12:30 AM
Well, it's a sad night. I borrowed a red light from Candace and went to creeping on the creepers. No worms, but I did have amphipods ALL OVER my zoas!!!!! So sad. I didn't see them on the ones that were already hurting but on the plays. He was right up in front next to the glass munching away. I watched for a bit and then went on a flicking rampage!! :smiley_abus:
Well, now that is settled. What to do????

Kilo2008
05-15-2014, 12:35 AM
Yellow coris wrasse....

GenSkiR6
05-15-2014, 12:55 AM
Yellow coris wrasse....

That wouldn't be nice to put him in a 12 gal. I would borrow yours overnight but then he would go back.

dave00gt
05-15-2014, 01:21 AM
Well they are in the rocks , what's comes to mind Is new rock maybe dry rock , or something that feeds on him if don't know maybe a mandarin ,

Diesel
05-15-2014, 06:10 AM

cacarnold3
05-15-2014, 10:55 AM
How many did you see Gen?

GenSkiR6
05-15-2014, 11:14 AM
How many did you see Gen?

Tons! There were about six to seven big fat ones on the palys. And then they were all over the rocks and other coral in the tank. I only saw them munching on the palys but again were sitting on top of my other zoas.

cacarnold3
05-15-2014, 04:37 PM
I'd first see if you can suck them into a turkey baster or net them- before trying any chemical treatment. The other option is to "borrow" a wrasse of some sort or perhaps a damsel to eat them. Remember not to get a wrasse that sleeps in the sand bed because it will go into the sand before those guys come out for the night. I am surprised that your clownfish doesn't try to eat them. Mine would gobble them up in a heartbeat. I am glad that you at least got to see the culprits :). Still surprises me that there seems to be an epidemic of zoa eating amphipods these days.

GenSkiR6
05-15-2014, 04:44 PM
That's what I'm going to do (natural treatment). I'm not keen on the chemical treatment. Going to borrow kilo's wrasse.

I'm going to get up tonight and look again to see if I see anything different.

Apparently they got a taste for zoa/paly flesh and it's becoming hereditary. Stranger things have happened.

dave00gt
05-15-2014, 05:06 PM
Like the above post don't the wrasses bed down in the sand for the night.

GenSkiR6
05-15-2014, 05:08 PM
Yes but most are active right after the lights go out feasting on whatever they find. Not all burry themselves.

dave00gt
05-15-2014, 05:27 PM
True..