PDA

View Full Version : SPS (milli) question

dayton
04-17-2012, 10:51 PM
This is kind of a general question but more directed towards milli's. I just got my first one from dennis, I read that they like a good amount of flow, should I keep the powerhead that it is near on 24/7 or turn it off at night? Any other hints or advice wouldbe great (location,flow,light) Its in a 180g with 2 250w MH. The tank is set up with 2 islands on each side of the tank which puts them under each light. What do you guys suggest?

rehab
04-17-2012, 11:03 PM
Tons of flow and light. One of my colony is 7" away from my mp60 on the upper 1/3 of my tank. Also under 250w halide. Approximately "20 from bulb to colony.

rehab
04-17-2012, 11:05 PM
I don't turn my pump off at night either. Mp60 and 2 tunze 6201 pumps running full blast on my 5' tank so it is quite a bit of flow.

DGTG
04-17-2012, 11:10 PM
I got a crazy insane milli from Lesd some time ago. I also have a 180. His milli likes it best with alternating flow, mid tank, in between LED modules (kinda out of optic beam/not super intense light).
My powerheads have a night mode......so I don't know about shutting them completely down.

Best thing I can throw out at ya is........mount it on a "smaller" flat rock, so you can move it around and find its happy place (leave it sit in one place for a few days, check color and PE, if looks bad, MOVE IT until you find a place it loves) you'll get better color and growth in the long run.

Did you dip and QT it?
And I am not saying anything negative about Dennis....I by ALOT of stuff from him, and LUV his coral. Just saying it is a good idea/habit to get into, no matter who you get it from.

Ostentum
04-17-2012, 11:13 PM
Most like high flow and high light. The ut don't give them constant non stop same speed flow. No sps like that. You want to provide turbulent alternating flow. The parts of the coral provided with constant direct flow will die on you. Trust me on this one I have done that experiment with many different corals with the same result. He areas provided with non stop direct flow die

dayton
04-17-2012, 11:40 PM
No I did not dip it and hate to say it but have never dipped any coral iv bought. I need to start. Iv got it about 24 to 26 inches, thats the top of my rock so maybe ill need to get another rock. I only have a SICCE number 4 (its probably 6 or so inches from the milli) a number 7 will be coming sooner than later.

Ostentum
04-18-2012, 08:26 AM
I dip everything and still got aefw and black bugs. Probably from a wild/maricultured piece. Just wait till it wipes out 5k worth of le and rare sps. Me personally if I ever add a wild piece to my tank again first it will be in quarantine for 6 weeks and second it's base will be cut off and thrown away or left to bake in the sun for a month

RR-MAN
04-18-2012, 09:53 AM
This is kind of a general question but more directed towards milli's. I just got my first one from dennis, I read that they like a good amount of flow, should I keep the powerhead that it is near on 24/7 or turn it off at night? Any other hints or advice wouldbe great (location,flow,light) Its in a 180g with 2 250w MH. The tank is set up with 2 islands on each side of the tank which puts them under each light. What do you guys suggest?

Good amount of flow but not Direct Flow, make sure it's random. Never turn off your circulation pumps...corals need the circulation to get nutrients from the water columns and get rid of waste. GL>

dayton
04-18-2012, 06:38 PM
I moved it up closer to the light (20 inches or so from the bulb) and I noticed a couple tips starting to bleech. I moved it back down but is there something I can do to stop the bleeching or is it to late?

rehab
04-18-2012, 10:10 PM
You will always need to acclimate new sps that come from lfs slowly. The new sps prob come from a low lit tank so the sudden increase in light will shock and bleach it. I would leave it where you had it and move it up slowly over a month or so period.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

dayton
04-18-2012, 10:30 PM
OK, I put it back down andramped up the fans to lower the temp a little.

dayton
04-20-2012, 01:39 PM
Todays update is its starting to bleech more? Iv got plenty of flow i would think and its lower in the tank. Is there a way to save it or is it to late when it starts to bleech? Should I frag the peices that are not bleeched or will it do better as a whole? ANY help, its the only peice of coral in there, Iv checked the water and everything looked good. Iv got a PM skimmer running 24/7 with 5 or so damsels and a humu in a 180g. Did I skim all the good stuff out?

3CC
04-25-2012, 12:26 AM
I think your tank is to young for SPS.

What are your parameters and what are you doing to keep them in check?

There is no way you skimed out all the good stuff. ;)

below radar
04-25-2012, 12:53 AM
I was going to wait until my tank was stable for 6 months before I added SPS. They're too picky for my tank right now. Plus, I suck at this right now...I need more experience before I mess with SPS.

dayton
04-25-2012, 10:38 PM
All of my parameters check out, I have them double checked at Tnt when I go in there. I do regular water changes. This is going to be an sps only tank so Im not going to add any softies or lps until "the time is right". There are about 8 fish in there to add some goodies to the water.

Jasonc
04-26-2012, 08:15 AM
Is the coral bleached or is the tissue dieing? You can tell the difference by the presence of polyps in the effected area (they will be white/clear if bleached) or is the skin sloughing off in sheets/pieces? Is the effected area just at the tips or at the base as well?

If bleached; move the coral to the bottom of the tank while still being in the spread of the 250. Wait until you see the coral regain the pigmentation in the effected area. Move it up slowly over the course of 3 weeks or so. If the tissue is dead or is receding at the base of the coral (white skeleton with pits where the polyps should be); what is your PH, ALK, CA, Mg, NO3 and PO4? What are you dosing or using to maintain ALK and CA?

A decent picture would help too

Ostentum
04-26-2012, 08:51 AM
If its bleaching at the tips 9/10 times it's do to high alk or alk swings where it has dropped and then one manually doses cranking the alk back up too quickly. Stability is the key. I have been doing sps for close to 10 years I think you need a mature tank starting off with sps since most people new to sps don't know the tell tale signs of a stressed sps. Last tank I had sps I after 6 weeks. It can be done just not very easily and it takes a trained eye to know when something is starting to go downhill

dayton
04-27-2012, 09:21 PM
The tissue was dead, its totally gone. I went to TnT and got one of their acro frags to try again. Got it yesterday, so far so good.