PDA

View Full Version : Blue linckia starfish

wendy32693
11-05-2011, 07:50 PM
I just got a blue linckia starfish from bb fish, they were telling me it would be ok in my tank, well I got to doing some research and found out these are very hard to keep alive and someone else at city pets as well was telling me they are difficult. Has anyone else had experience with these? Also any tips to ensure that it survives? It is a beautiful starfish, I would hate to see it die.

funkmaster
11-05-2011, 07:57 PM
good luck they are hit or miss ...i never had good luck

trb
11-05-2011, 08:23 PM
B&B on fm1960? I've heard they will sell you anything and tell you it will do well. I've only bought a few things from them and they all died within a couple of weeks. Best of luck with it

wendy32693
11-05-2011, 08:39 PM
Yea that exact store. Well I hope he stays alive he is very beautiful

Slayer311
11-09-2011, 03:53 PM
I have tried to keep these a couple times, with no success. Good luck, I hope yours does better than mine did. And in my experience it is true that B&B will sell you anything saying it is easy to keep, even sometimes when I know for a fact that species is hard to keep in captivity. I also have not had good luck with livestock surviving from that store. Best of luck to you.

rxonco
11-11-2011, 11:24 AM
...will sell you anything saying it is easy to keep, even sometimes when I know for a fact that species is hard to keep in captivity...

I can say the same for pretty much every store I've ever been to. This includes our beloved sponsors. On a much smaller scale, it's like buying a car. The salesman is there to make a pitch and try for the sale. It's your duty to do some research prior to making the purchase. In this hobby impulse buys will get you most of the time. Trust me, we're all victims of the impulse buy at one time or another.

There's not much you can do to ensure the star's health. Truth it, nobody really knows what it eats. Which is why they typically waste away after a few weeks to a few months. Some might get a year out of one. The orange/red ones tend to have better luck.

R-BallJunkie
11-13-2011, 06:38 AM
ive kept one for the last 8 months, no problems. its survived some mini tank melt downs, keeps on ticking. its a bit out of scale size wise compared to my tank, but seems to fair just fine.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r158/cchavis/marshall%20islands/P8152911.jpg