PDA

View Full Version : a sponge ID

Peredhil
01-20-2010, 04:51 PM
I have this sponge. It's invasive.

I need to ID it before I can find something that will eat it to keep it in check.

Older pics but it shows the sponge well

It prefers shade. These "tentacles" get pretty dang long too

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq219/Peredhil_photo/Aquarium/sponge/Corals2009September008.jpg

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq219/Peredhil_photo/Aquarium/sponge/Corals2009September006.jpg

Does not seem to bother my coral. Came in on a frag and I have nuked rocks trying to get rid of it... Now I'm living with it but want something that will eat at it (thinking a coral beauty if you're curious).

Anyway, looking for an ID.

Llama
01-21-2010, 12:22 AM
My CB doesn't touch any of my sponges.

I've seen small spots of a similar looking sponge on a friend's tank, but they never grew larger than maybe the size of a dime. Tagging along

Llama
01-21-2010, 12:24 AM
Just remembered that I read somewhere that decorator crabs are sponge eaters.

Peredhil
01-26-2010, 04:56 PM
Decorator crabs... I haven't heard that before... I'll see if I can find anything to corroborate that.... I don't want to put things in willy nilly, but I really want to find something to keep this under control!

Kemah
01-28-2010, 11:15 AM
Decorator crabs may eat some of that sponge but I would be careful because it may spread it around the tank faster than it eats it. They are really cool crabs though.

shollaway
04-10-2011, 07:16 PM
Nudibrachs eat sponges most people buy them and think they eaT algea ans they starve to death they are very beautiful and would live happy ever after in your tank.!!!!! City pets has some cool ones and I saw at B&B's they have them also. They are very cool but not many people can keep them, because of the feeding thing, looks like a perfect fit! They are reef safe just be careful of the species you get.

shollaway
04-10-2011, 07:17 PM
oh did not realize this was last year! lol! well if you still have em...lol